Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Postponed

Well, a lot has happened in the past few weeks. I had to postpone my vacation trip. I was recently offered the position of the Director of Information Resource Management with NOAA in Gloucester MA and I accepted. It's a big job and a big opportunity to do something new with an agency that has a completely different mission. I couldn't go on vacation for two weeks and then leave so I decided to postpone the trip. I am wrapping things up at GSA over the next couple weeks and then I start at NOAA on May 24. I have been with GSA for over five years now and if you look at my track record, that is the longest I've been anywhere. It's time to move on. I am hoping to do the bike trip in the fall, maybe October. I have been thinking about this trip for about a year and I have been planning it for the past six months. It would be a shame not to do it. The upside is that I have the summer to ride around New England on the weekends. Last weekend I did a loop through central Vermont. Here is the route: http://tinyurl.com/684d8b I road some of the nicest roads I've ever been on. I left at 5:00 in the morning and it took me two hours just to get to the starting point of the route. It was freezing for the first half of the day and I was regretting not bringing my electric vest. The road through the Groton State Forest was a wild ride. It was the middle of nowhere deep in the woods and if I broke down, I doubt I would have seen another vehicle for days. There was still snow on the side of the road as well. Once I got up to Stowe, I had to take off the layers of clothes I had on to try and keep warm because it almost instantly got hot outside. I pulled over and had a quick lunch in Stowe. The last half from Stowe was such a nice ride, I want to do it again this weekend. However, I've already got plans to do a nice 180 mile swing around southern New Hampshire on Saturday. I'll let you know how that goes.

No comments: