Friday, May 28, 2010

It's a New Day

It is the conclusion of my first week at NOAA. Like anyone in any new job, I'm lost right now, but I am pretty sure it will be a good fit for me here. I am basically being left alone to run my program. That is the building in the picture and my office is in the corner on the third floor. I have a lot of work ahead of me because the organization is in need of additional resources and staffing in the government is a significant challenge. We do a lot of systems development here and that is not something I am entirely familiar with so I have a learning curve to negotiate. I learned a lot about all sorts of application development platforms... Oracle Forms, Reports, Apex, PHP, Java, Python, and the list goes on. We need to all agree on a single platform for future development so that is another area I will be working on in the coming weeks. NOAA has a Science Center in Woods Hole MA and I am going down there next Wednesday to take a look at that operation. They do some support for our Regional Office so I need to understand what's going on there. I am looking forward to recharging a bit this weekend. Les and I don't have any plans. I am not planning to do any riding this weekend, but we'll see. I am doing the Minuteman Rally next weekend. It is a 24 hour "bonus" type rally. You can look at http://www.minuteman1000.com/ for more info if you're interested. It is a competition where you basically ride around for a day and find the bonus locations and get points. Kind of like a scavanger hunt. More on that in a couple weeks. Enjoy the holiday weekend.

No comments: