Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Catskills

My friend Marc and I met along the Mass Pike at 7:30 Saturday morning for an adventure in the Catskills. I knew it was going to be a long day. It was 4th of July weekend and it was going to be hot. I was, of course, in full Aerostich gear. I had my long LD comfort undergear along with a nice wicking shirt so I stayed relatively cool until the end of the day when it got really hot. I probably drank about half a gallon of water and only had to go to the bathroom once so that gives you an idea of how warm it was in all the gear. Anyway, the ride started out very nice with some great roads through MA and CT heading to NY, but slowly the traffic started to increase. Marc warned me that there was no easy way to get to where we were going. We hit a lot of lights and traffic heading to 23a in NY. Once we got there though, the road was as advertised. 23a is one of the best motorcycle roads I've been on. It wasn't as nice as the White Forest in NH, but it was pretty nice. We buzzed uphill most of the way on 23a and then had lunch at a place called Maggie's Krooked Cafe in Tannersville NY. Marc was really bragging-up this place. I guess he's been there a number of times, but I thought it was just alright. The location was perfect though. It is right on top of the 23a mountain. We hung out there for about an hour before hitting the road back home. We decided to take a different way home through part of VT. It started to get incredibly hot once we dipped into western MA around 5:00 in the afternoon. We took Hwy 2 in western MA which is basically the Mohawk Trail the whole way. It was a nice ride with no traffic. I've been along the Mohawk Trail before, but I always hit traffic so it was nice to really book through there without traffic. It was shady most of the way until we exited the Trail and got on the straight route back to Boston along Hwy 2 and baked in the sun the whole way home. I got home around 8:00 pm so it was a little over 12 hours and about 550 miles on the clock. A nice bit of riding. I am planning to take the RT to Second Wind BMW this Saturday for some much needed mid-season maintenance.

No comments: